Birmingham’s Historic Donnelly House
The historic Donnelly House, an example of Neo-classical architecture, was built in 1905 as the residence of James W. Donnelly. Mr. Donnelly was an industrialist, manufacturer, real-estate developer, philanthropist, and civic leader. After retiring from Procter & Gamble in Cincinnati, he moved south to Birmingham where this magnificent Georgian-colonial mansion had been constructed, featuring over 12,000 square feet of living space and spectacular white marble floors.
While the Donnelly House served primarily as a private residence, it was also the home of the Birmingham Civic Ballet during the 1950s. Ultimately, the home was opened as a venue for weddings, business meetings and other activities.
The home was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on May 20, 1975. It is also a contributing property to the Highland Avenue Historic District, a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
The mansion was purchased by Carl Schoettlin in 2011. The property and home have been completely renovated. The mansion, along with its patio garden and gazebo ceremony garden, is designed to entertain various functions. The Donnelly House is the perfect setting to have an elegant southern function.
We’d love to hear from you!
For venue availablity, information, or to schedule an appointment to view the Donnelly House, please call or e-mail Carl Schoettlin.
The Historic Donnelly House is located in Birmingham, Alabama.
2838 Highland Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205